Monday, June 06, 2005

Star Wars Episode III - A Tale Gone Haywire??

Hey Guys and Gals,

Well the titke of this blog suggests I would be getting to the DARK side of a lot of Star Wars fans. But hang on people, I am a die-hard Star Wars fan myself - and I loved the movie. I think this was a perfect ending to a great saga.

But........... (always comes up doesn't it!!!!)

A few things come to my mind which don't seem to gel with what George Lucas created as Darth Vader:

1. Darth Vader is supposed to be in awe of the emperor and he states in to Luke that the emperor is very powerful. However, in this episode, we see our dear senator stating that anakin is extremely powerful - to the extent that he is more powerful than I. Now how come suddenly Vader becomes more powerful than the most feared Emperor. If he was more powerful, it would've been easy enough to kill the emperor in Episode VI (Return of the Jedi)

2. Vader is known to be calculating, extremely sharp, cool kinda guy. Off course the best part of Vader is the voice (but thats not what I am cross about!!). Then how come he is shown to be so emotional. He is supposed to love Amadala, however, he tries to kill her. What happened to our cool guy?

3. In just over 20 minutes of the movie - you witness the change in Anakin - wow - thats kinda fast. Well - even in the movie its just a matter of one-two days that this transformation takes place - quite surprising!

4. Darth Vader convertes because he loves his wife and wants to protect them. In a second after knowing that they are dead - no emotions - just a dull ok.

The most important part of the movie to me was the two minute speech by Palpatine to Anakin wherein he explains how Anakin was born and how the mysterious dark side provides and takes in the same instant.

All in all - I think the transformation to Darth Vader was underplayed and should've been more prominant - after all he is the key!!!!

Cheers

Piyush

No comments: