Monday, June 27, 2005

Classic Manager Subordinate Crisis

Hi,

I was recently faced with a question - how to take to tasks subordinate team members who have not done their job while they might have more grey hair than me (well more hair than me will also work since I am going perpetually bald :-) !! )

Anyways, here was the situation - there was a document to be made. The person incharge has ample time and opportunity to make the document. A template and a similar document for reference is already in place. However, there is no think through. So the first draft is edited by me and considerable additions are suggested on paper. This was incorporated partially. The second draft went through a similar scenario. The changes were again not picked up. A third attempt was made albeit fruitless. As a result, a number of linked tasks got delayed till the last day of the project.

Now, my problem - I may be the project manager, but i do not have more number of years of experience. I do have more quality consulting experience, but in the Indian scenario, it is more years than knowledge (which is strange since we now are an integral part of the knowledge economy!!).

1. How do I take to task these people who inspite of writing down suggestions were unable to think through the document? (My problem is aggrevated by the fact that I have recently joined the firm and they have more years with the firm than I)
2. How do I ensure that this does not happen again? What are the best feedback mechanisms in such a case when the feedback is written as well as verbal.
3. If I complete the work in the first instance, how do I ensure the growth of my team and also that I am not taken for granted?

I managed my last project by putting in some extra effort. But the next deliverables are coming in ------------------!!


Cheers

No comments: